Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Starry, Starry Night

Last week, I took the munchkins on a last minute field trip to the Philbrook Museum of Art. While we were there, we noticed a painting by Van Gogh that we had not previously seen. We have been since it was added to the collection, but somehow we missed it. I don't know how you can miss a Van Gogh, but we did. Seeing the painting piqued the kids' interest in Van Gogh, so we decided to make him the next artist we study. (This brings our total of artists studied this year to two. My intentions were good, but it takes longer to explain long division than I had planned.)

I picked up some great books on Van Gogh at the library. Vincent's Colors is our favorite. It is perfect for picture study.

Vincent Van Gogh Gallery is an incredible online resource. We also enjoyed watching this slideshow of many of Van Gogh's paintings set to the music of Starry, Starry Night by Don McLean. I've always loved the song, but somehow it seems even more sad when I listen to it while seeing those paintings. Here is a great explanation of the lyrics.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails