Thursday, September 23, 2010

How to get a kid to read a book...

Let him read it on your new Kindle. Thing 3 was supposed to read two chapters of The Witch of Blackbird Pond for school today. He read six chapters because he didn't want to put down the Kindle. He even opted to read it at bedtime instead of the book he's reading for fun.


While I have a soft spot in my heart for "real" books and will never give them up completely, the Kindle is a wonderful thing to have. One thing I like about using it for school is the ability to highlight text and make notes as you read. I also appreciate the built-in dictionary. The kids, are reading more difficult books this year (out with the twaddle!), and frequently come across a word they don't understand. With the Kindle, they can just move the cursor up to the word and a definition pops up. It's great!

The Kindle is easily in the top 5 on my list of Favorite Things.

2 comments:

  1. The husband just ordered one. I might have to follow suit.

    Love the OUT with TWADDLE!!!! LDub wanted to buy a Junie B. book the other day at Target and I told him no. (Which is hard for me, b/c I love buying books). But I'm done with those books. I've noticed now that we are reading better quality books, the boys will stop me and ask me the definitions of unfamiliar words. Better books = better vocabulary and grammar.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I donated all of our Junie B books to the school. Kerri said the kids fight over them there. Next to go are the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. I just have to get up the nerve.

    My kids, too, are coming across lots of unfamiliar words this year, too. I love it. I still let them choose what they read "for fun" at bedtime, etc., but as I'm weeding out our twaddle, I'm hoping that eventually, all that will be left will be the good books.

    Did R get a 3G? Mine is the cheapo wireless only but I love it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails