Thursday, April 1, 2010

Some days we have recess first...

I believe that children need to spend time outside. A lot of time outside. It's good for their minds. It's good for their bodies. It's good for the sanity of their mother.

Yesterday was a beautiful day, so instead of jumping into schoolwork, we started our day with a long bike ride and took in the beauty of Spring.






Some people see this as a weed.



Others see it as a something beautiful.



"We are all meant to be naturalists, each in his own degree, and it is inexcusable to live in a world so full of the marvels of plant and animal life and to care for none of these things." ~ Charlotte Mason




Always concerned about all of God's creatures, Thing 4 collected sticks and made a raft for any birds that might get tired while flying over the pond.





In a beautiful moment of Homeschool Teacher Affirmation, Thing 3 noted that this flower looks a lot like the flowers in the Van Gogh painting at the Philbrook.


The flowers in the Van Gogh are actually lilacs, but I can see why a ten year old would think these were the same flowers.

"Children are born naturalists. They explore the world with all of their senses, experiment in the environment, and communicate their discoveries to those around them." ~ The Audubon Nature Preschool





2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, it's important for the children to spend time outside. So, on nice days we start outside too! Sometimes we take art to the zoo and my kids love it! Looks like you are enjoying homeschooling still....so glad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in outside time too. I spent so much time outdoors when I was a kid & loved it! I'll never get tired of my chick-weed & dandelion boquets the kids bring me!!! I love how they see beauty in everything.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails