Sunday, April 11, 2010

Freedom To Be Creative

Thing 4 loves to create. It doesn't matter if she's creating with paint, clay, sticks or trash she found in the street. The simple act of creating feeds her sweet little soul. So last week when she took one of her frequent outdoor breaks, it was no surprise to me that she came back in with an armload of flowers, (or weeds, depending on your perspective) and asked if she could make some flower arrangements.

We still had math and cursive to complete, but who am I to stifle the creative spirit of an 8 year old? Math and cursive can wait. Creativity can't. She spent the better part of the next 90 minutes creating and then placing her beautiful arrangements around our home.



I know people wonder how she will ever learn to cope in the "real world" if I don't make her sit for most of the day doing pencil and paper work. I have heard that criticism concern first-hand.


How will she ever learn to sit at a desk for hours at a time if I give in to her need to move?



The answer is "She won't", and that's precisely the point.

I could fight who she is and we would both be miserable. Instead, I choose to allow her to be the person God created her to be, (as much as it frustrates me sometimes).


1 comment:

  1. I think you are doing exactly what she needs. And that is the most important thing of all. If her needs are being met, everything else will fall into place at just the right time.
    AND ~ she'll turn out to be a really cool chick who is confident and true to herself.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails