Thursday, November 4, 2010

Biomes and Deep Thoughts

Thing 3 is learning about the Earth's biomes so last week we headed out to Red Bud Valley Nature Preserve to do a little biome study. Red Bud Valley is interesting because in one relatively small area, you can observe both forest and grassland biomes. Because of the different conditions, the variety of plant life is vast.






I love nature walks because they offer so many opportunities to learn. On the cliff side of the preserve, we talked about rock formations and the different types of rocks we saw. My child who loves textures had to touch them all.




The kids did a little nature journaling.




Thing 3 did lots of observation and made many notes.



My hunter hunted.



And my gatherer gathered.


As I was walking behind my children, watching them experience their science lesson that day, it hit me that *this* is why I homeschool. Sure, the flexibility is great. No homework is great. I love that we don't do fundraisers anymore. Doing school in our pajamas is fun. But for me, it really all boils down to days like this...days when my children can spend time learning by doing, touching, seeing, hearing and smelling.


I'm so thankful for that I am able to spend this kind of time with these sweet children and I know that I will never regret a moment of it.



3 comments:

  1. You hit the number one reason to homeschool right on the nose. Gave me goosebumps reading it. Great pics. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for tearing me up with this:

    <>

    This is why I homeschool, and I will NEVER regret it either. I'm blessed to be with them in this way.

    Thank you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails